Joburg CBD Informal Traders Demand Answers Over Permit Backlog and Alleged Harassment

Joburg CBD Informal Traders Demand Answers Over Permit Backlog and Alleged Harassment

Informal traders marched through Johannesburg’s CBD to Braamfontein, demanding the urgent release of trading permits and an end to alleged harassment by city officials. Picture Credit: Facebook

By Aisha Zardad

Johannesburg – CBD – Dozens of informal traders marched through Johannesburg’s Central Business District on Thursday, accusing city officials of harassment and raising concerns over prolonged delays in the issuing of trading permits.

The group marched from the inner city to the offices of Mayor Dada Morero in Braamfontein, where they handed over a memorandum outlining their demands.

Traders say the failure to issue smart card permits has effectively stripped them of their ability to earn a living. They accuse city officials of confiscating goods and equipment while they await approval.

“We are here today because we need our smart cards. We want the Mayor of Johannesburg to tell us something better today, and not tomorrow. If they fail to answer us, we are going to sleep here in Braamfontein. We demand that we be given our trading permits and smart cards,” one trader said.

Sizakele Bhengu, who has traded since 2013, described repeated setbacks she has faced over the years.

“In 2013, I was forced out by the municipality, and they took my trolleys and equipment. Following that, I returned to selling chicken innards, pap, and achaar, only to find myself back at square one due to the same issues,” she said.

She added that during the last festive season, her stock and equipment were confiscated despite her applying for a permit.

“I was slapped with a R4,000 fine. This situation is incredibly hurtful to us because we are just trying to provide for our families,” Bhengu said.

In November 2025, Morero revealed that more than 2,800 new applications had been received as part of the city’s trader verification process. However, only about 160 informal traders had been fully registered and authorised to operate in the CBD.

The City of Johannesburg said it had noted the march and referred to a letter from certain trader representatives alleging harassment and calling for the re-marking of trading bays.

According to the city, enforcement of by-laws in the inner city has been necessary to restore order, cleanliness, safety and long-term economic stability. It added that these measures have led to measurable improvements, despite what it described as attempts by external parties to create confusion among traders.

Morero said the city has not received a verified list of traders allegedly affected, limiting its ability to determine the extent of non-compliance.

He added that traders whose permits are still pending will be contacted as the verification process continues.

“Most of the traders referenced in the complaint have already been verified and incorporated into the city’s permit system. Several others have been contacted multiple times to collect their permits but have not responded. The Department of Economic Development is in the final stages of confirming the rollout schedule for the smartcard permit system,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *